Environmental club

Environmental+club

Ashlynn Hunsicker, Staff Writer

Students looking for a new club that offers the opportunity to do something positive should look no further than the environmental club.

This is a new club is sponsored by science teacher, Mrs. Schimel and was started by an interest to work with the Earth. 

Senior Ethan Davis noticed the lack of knowledge of environmental issues, and wanted to change that. That’s when he approached Schimel about starting the club.

The club has lots of exciting projects planned for the school year to help keep areas more clean and to help the campus be more in tune with conservation.

Davis wants to spread more knowledge about certain issues in the local community, such as littering and the decrease in local pollinators. 

“This year, I look forward to getting our hands dirty. I hope that we are able to make a visible impact on our community, all while learning and having fun,” said Davis.

Club members typically meet on Fridays to brainstorm ideas on projects they would like to complete. They have a lot of great activities planned out and have already started the process on a huge project. 

The first venture for the group was “the courtyard project.” They are renovating an empty space into a native flower garden and outdoor teaching space. This will help promote pollinators around the school environment. This will also create a space for teachers to take their classes outside, while providing easy means of control.

So far the club members have cut down the weeds and cleaned out the trash in the courtyard. Teachers are looking forward to this new space for their students.

Junior Nevaeh Hubner says, “ I’m most excited to clean up the courtyard in the middle of the school and turn it into a flower garden for the school to be able to enjoy.”

A huge goal for the club will be participating in the statewide Adopt-A-Highway program. This is an ongoing process and will need further approval from the school. However, they hope to get the mile stretch on U.S. 40 to clean and maintain.

The environmental club is off to a wonderful start. The members have already completed so much hard work. They are doing such a good job of working together and achieving their goals to serve the community and bring awareness to environmental issues.