Want to get big?

Forrest Lee, Staff

Making gains on the athletic fields often starts with work off the field. Luckily for the students at Cascade, the behind the scenes program is growing.  And then some.

Our school has an after school weightlifting program that is run by Coach Simmons from 3:15 to 4:15, Monday through Friday each week.

The weight room is open to all students grades 6-12. Students who don’t play a sport are also welcome to work out.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are lifting days. These days designed to help you get stronger and to increase your flexibility.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are conditioning days where athletes can work on springs, mobility and agility.  As max outs approach, the schedule is changed to four days lifting and one day conditioning. 

If you are an athlete, but not in your season, it’s very important that you come to after school weights to help condition during the off season.

“I have two goals for after school weights; get 90% of all out of season athletes to attend the workouts and to increase our strength, power and explosiveness,“ stated Simmons.

In the spring of 2021 thousands of dollars were raised by students in APC to remodel the weight room. This was desperately needed because most of the equipment was rusty and outdated. The current weight room has light blue squatracks, new dumbbells and multiple machines. The weight room is expected to undergo an expansion this summer. There has never been a better opportunity to get involved than now, so be sure to not miss out.

You can find a schedule for after school weights on the wall in the weight room and on the CHS athletic social media pages.