It’s the season of giving

Ethan Davis, staff

In 1991, a CHS counselor named Kara Almond decided to throw a Christmas party for seventeen underprivileged children in the Mill Creek Community School District. Alongside students involved in the “Staying Alive Club” that she founded, they were able to supply crafts, gifts and a sense of holiday cheer to a few elementary students. 30 years later, the CHS chapter of the National Honor Society is able to provide nearly 50kids with a plethora of gifts, candy, crafts and an opportunity to meet Santa Claus. 

Senior Kaylin Cook, NHS president, states that this annual event gives the opportunity for high school students “to give kids at the elementary schools who come from lower income families with the opportunity to have a big Christmas.”

Unfortunately, there are a few members of the local community who are not able to set aside enough money for Christmas presents. Low income parents have to pay rent and buy food, which may mean that a big Christmas may not be a financial option. However, according to Cook, this event is a great way to give back to the community in a wholesome way. 

This is also a great way for CHS students to get involved within their community. Not only are they able to donate presents to selected students based off of their Christmas list, but they also usually get the chance to “adopt” a kid for the event. NHS and other volunteering students will guide their child around each activity, creating a stress-free environment in  unfamiliar territory. 

Similar to last year’s festivities that were cancelled due to the COVID-1pandemic, the 2021 Christmas party will not be held at the school. Instead, crafts and prizes will be sent to the homes of selected students. Mrs. Gee, junior English teacher and NHS sponsor, states that this is an attempt to “provide a little bit of the usual party for the kids at home.” Gee has full hopes that the usual Christmas party will return to in-person activities for the 2022 holiday season. 

If your interested in buying gifts for a child, or for any general information, please contact Mrs. Gee or visit the table set up in the cafeteria through the week of 11/19/21.