“SHE’S A FRESHMAN!”

SHES A FRESHMAN!

MaKye Tharp, Staff

SHE’S A FRESHMAN! 

Opposing fans hate to hear this chant, but one CHS frosh makes a compelling case for this to be shouted by the Black and Blue Crew…and often.   

Freshman Sydney Warran, who averages of 1.8 blocks per game and 7.1 points per game,  gets people loud and excited to watch the Cascade girls basketball team play. 

Warran said she enjoyes a leadership role. “ I hope to bring leadership to the table. I want others to look up to me not only as a player but as a person as well.” 

Coach Carpenter says Warran is a vital contributor. “Sydney is a player that can do a little bit of everything. She can score, shoot, dribble, pass, play defense and rebound. She handles the ball and plays point guard which is very tough to do as a freshman. She is very advanced for a freshman and is a great asset to the team.” 

Warran is learning how to balance her duties on and off the court. “I think basketball can affect my school life at times because I think about it a lot! It can be stressful at times, especially being a point guard. It might not always seem like it but there are a lot of aspects that going into the game.” 

Warran started playing basketball in second grade and plans to continue.  She is a very valuable player to coaches and is very coachable. The sky is the limit on her potential.

Heading into the state tournament, the Cadets will need her to be on her game.  Hopefully there will be reason to her the crowd calling her chant.