Keep Rolling

Tami Dugan

Senior Abigail Kinkle shields off a defender while moving up the pitch

Jordan Van Winkle, Senior Staff Writer

The girls soccer team wrapped up their season last week in a heartbreaking sectional loss to future conference rival Monrovia.
The girls had the momentum while heading into half with a 2-1 lead over the Bulldogs. Senior Janelle Morris was sent off the field early in the second half after being booked with a red card. The girls continued to hold their own with only 10 players on the field.
Monrovia struck back with a goal early in the second half to make it 2-2. The game at this point became very aggressive and physical.
Sophomore Tori Potters answered by scoring with 20 minutes left in the game to take the commanding lead. The girls gameplan quickly turned to protecting the goal.
Despite the great defensive efforts, the Bulldogs managed to push one last goal in before the end of regulation.
This final goal forced the standard overtime rules of two seven minute halves. The first half of overtime was very evenly matched. Neither team allowed the other to work too far up the field.
During the second half of overtime junior Taylor Norris and senior Abigail Kinkle had many promising attacks that just fell short. With three minutes left the Bulldogs took advantage of an offensive opportunity and scored the game winning goal.
This tough loss concluded the Lady Cadets 2018 season. After many tough battles the girls wrapped up with and overall record of 2-12-2. The girls found themselves in many difficult situations including multiple games where a player got a red card, goals being called back and the head coach quitting in the middle of the season.
The Lady Cadets are already focused on next season. They plan to make their mark in the Indiana Crossroads Conference. They are also seeking revenge on their future conference rivals, the Monrovia Bulldogs. The Lady Cadets are not discouraged after this season, instead they continue to stand by their motto of “Let’s Roll.”