Last ride

Senior Jo Cameron becomes the first Cascade FFA member to advance to state-level competition.

Alex Church, Staff

Cascade High School FFA senior Jo Cameron earned a perfect individual score at the Area VI Forestry Career Development Event (CDE) this past fall. That perfect score allowed Cameron to move on to the state competition, a first for CHS.
The National FFA Forestry Career Development Event is designed to stimulate student interest and to promote the forestry industry as a career choice.
The Forestry CDE requires students to demonstrate their skills in diagnosing forest disorders, managing forests and forest inventory, and applying approved silvicultural practices.
Since Cameron was the only individual participating from Area VI who was not a part of a team in the state competition, preparing for the competition was more difficult.
Cameron worked hard to prepare for the state competition. She even went to Rossville Schools for a mock practice session. All FFA Chapters that were advancing to the state competition were invited to the mock practice session.
Cameron said that studying all of the different leaf samples was the hardest part of preparing for the competition.
The state Forestry CDE was held in December at Purdue University. Out of 189 FFA members who competed in the event, Cameron place 69th.
FFA sponsor, Mrs. Laura Searcy said, “Considering this was Cascade’s first time to compete at the state level, Jo placing among the best in the state is a great starting point for our chapter.”
Searcy says that experience is the key in many of the competitions. Though Cameron may not know it, she is building a foundation for the chapter to move forward.