Savory Season

Savory+Season

MaKye Tharp, Staff Writer

After losing a whole season to COVID last year, the girls softball team is making up for it, and in a very big way. 

The team is off to a fast start with a curremt record of 7-4 with wins over the likes of North Putnam, South Putnam, Parke Heritage and Greencastle. 

The team did not fare well in the Hendricks County Tournament, being blanked in both games, but the team has used that as motivation and are undefeated since.

We learned that we need to be more aggressive and come out ready to play. 21 outs is all you have to push through,” stated Head Coach Morgan Burch.

Burch said the younger classmen were rising to the challenge in big ways.

Our sophomore class has really stepped it up from not having a season last year. Megan Walker has filled a big hole on the mound.” 

Another player who has really stepped inside of the batter’s box is junior Rachel Mazzio with a batting average of .571.   This couple with the home run threat from seniors  Chase Searcy and Maddy Trisler and junior Ella Cochenour, the team is filling up the bases and bringing runners home.

With the sectional on the horizon, the girls have big plans for winning the tournament. 

Burch said, “Our goal for sectionals is to obviously win, who doesn’t want that? I want to make it to the championship game, but we have to take one game at a time.” 

Senior Chase Searcy said she hopes to get a lot out of this year and hopes to help the younger players. 

Searcy said, “ I plan to have a good, fun year and I hope to make memories. I also want to make an impact and be well rounded and respectful. I hope to be a good role model and be a great captain.” 

With the girls on a hot streak, there is no limit to the potential as tournament time approaches.