In the know about the walk

Madison Bledsoe, Staff Writer

National Suicide Prevention month is in September, and if you have have been paying attention,  you’ve probably heard something about the Suicide Prevention Walk.

CHS is preparing to participate in this event for the fourth straight year.  Ms. Paradise and our school nurse, Natalee Hessler are very proud supporters of this event.  

Taking part in the Suicide Prevention Walk in downtown Indy is becoming a great tradition, which gains more momentum and participation each year.

However, with social restrictions, this year’s Indiana Out of the Darkness Walk has been cancelled. This led to our school and community coming together to bring the event to our school on Saturday, September 19th at 9 a.m. 

Paradise states, “I have participated in the walk for nine years, and several years ago Natalee approached me after being concerned for the mental health of students here at Cascade. She wanted to know what she could do and she knew this cause was close to my heart.”

This year the plan is to have a small gathering of teachers, students and immediate family take part in a small town community walk. The event will be socially distanced on the track around the football field and hand sanitizer will be provided. 

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention sponsors these walks to help bring awareness to those who need help and to bring people together from all over the nation. 

Senior Sierra Creek says “Each year the walk is AFSP’s largest fundraiser that provides prevention programs and it helps bring together people that are affected by suicide. The walk also educates communities; it proves that there are others going through similar situations and that no one is alone.”

The walk is limited to 250 people, and walkers must be registered before the event by signing up with Hessler.

Participants will walk in socially distanced groups and all safety precautions will be observed.

In 2017, only 10 people participated in this event.  But just last year over 25 students from Cascade walked. The numbers are growing bringing more awareness to this walk every year.   

The CHS walk team has set a goal of $3500, which the are close to achieving.

Creek states “The Suicide Walk is not supposed to be a sad thing but a time for reflection and healing.”