$100,000 game show

Jordan Van Winkle, Staff

Emmy award winning daytime talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres, just premiered her new NBC prime-time game show series, “Ellen’s Game of Games.”

With prize money up to $100,000 everyone is raving about Ellen’s new game program.

DeGeneres has worked alongside NBC for a total of 15 years with the production of her daily talk show, “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” which first aired Sept. 8, 2003. The new program of games came from those she has used during segments of her daytime talk show such as “Make It Rain,” “Dizzy Dash” and “Aw Snap.”

There are 13 different preliminary games the contestants may have to participate in. The winners of preliminary games head to the game “Know or Go,” where DeGeneres asks senseless questions, that, if answered incorrectly, sees the contestant dropped into the abyss.

The single winner from “Know or Go” then advances to the game known as “Hot Hands.” In this game mode, contestants have the chance to win $1,000 for each correct answer. All ten “questions” are pictures of celebrities and the contestant has to name that celebrity correctly to receive the cash prizes. If the contestant names 10 celebrities correctly they win a cash prize of $100,000.

NBC decided that before starting this new series blindly, they would have a preview episode in December of 2017 to see how people reacted to the show. The public’s first viewing of Ellen’s new show aired on December 18, 2017. The preview episode had more than 7 million viewers on the night of its showing. These numbers impressed the NBC executives, which led to the series official premiere on January 2, 2018.

Although the show is bringing in 7 million plus viewers each episode, the show has had many mixed ratings. On Hulu “Ellen’s Game of Games” pulls in a whopping 4.4/5 on reviews. The ratings on IMDb are dramatically different than Hulu. The show’s rating on IMDb is only a 5.8/10.

Despite the inconsistent ratings NBC has decided to renew the series contract for a second 13-episode season.