Are you up for the Pre-AP challenge?

Nicholas Murphy, Staff

Reading, writing and speaking are all apart of our daily lives, but some people are better at it than others. Current freshmen who excel in English and are looking for a challenge should consider taking Pre-AP English 10 with Ms. Henderson next year.
The class will help prepare you for future AP English classes and even for college.
“The benefits of taking Pre-AP English versus the regular class will depend on the student taking the class. If you are the kind of student who has always done well in your classes, and you want to challenge yourself, Pre-AP is a good fit for you,” said Henderson.
Ms. Henderson will be returning to teaching Pre-AP after she had to take one year off the class due to scheduling issues with the class of 2018. Currently, the class is being taught by Ms. Paradise.
“I’ve taught the class for two years previously. It’s more my class than it is Ms. Paradise’s. She ended up teaching it because I am also the junior English teacher and this year’s junior class required four different sections, rather than three as I had last year,” said Henderson.
Students planning on taking Pre-AP English 10 next year have much to look forward to. Students will have to complete a summer assignment to be able to take the class.
“I am looking forward to teaching my favorite Shakespearean play, “Twelfth Night,” as well as the summer reading assignment, “Things Fall Apart,” by Chinua Achebe,” said Henderson.
Students who decide to take Pre-Ap English as a sophomore should know that the class won’t come easy.
“Pre-AP English 10 is all about reading and writing at the college level. Students will read and respond to a variety of texts, including fiction, plays, nonfiction and poetry. Students will analyze literature in class discussions as well as in full-length papers, be introduced to the elements of rhetoric and will analyze how the choices of authors impact meaning,” said Henderson.
So freshmen, if you are up to the challenge, be sure to check out this course.