So long, class of 2023

Jess Amrhein, Senior Staff Writer

In the fall of 2019, the class of 2023 stepped foot into Cascade High School to begin their  career, all excited to live those four years everyone dreams of at least once in their childhood. But little did they know that it was going to be a rough journey. 

In the winter of 2019, we just made it through our first semester of high school, when a couple months later, in March of 2020, COVID-19 spread like wildfire and shut down schools all across the globe. When we were told we were getting two weeks off school, we all cheered without knowing what was actually going to come.

We ended up spending the rest of the semester trying to learn from home. We were finally able to come back to school our sophomore year, but it just wasn’t the same.

Although we had to wear masks and we kept going back to virtual for a couple weeks at a time, having t be socially distanced, and not being able to hug our friends made it hard.  Though we were all glad to be back and to have some human interaction, it was a different vibe.

During that same school year, we suffered an even greater loss.

Then junior Kadeo Lewis was not only an amazing student, he was an amazing friend to everyone. His passing impacted the whole community and was very hard on everyone. 

By the time our junior year rolled around, it felt like the entire class was pretty much over being in high school. We had already been through so much as a class, and lots of us were struggling. 

Thankfully, our school gave us lots of opportunities to make great achievements and help strive for the best things. 

Senior Daisy Lookabill, said, “I had a great time over these past 4 years, and I wouldn’t have gotten through it if it wasn’t for the amazing staff! I’m ready for my next chapter in life, but I appreciate what Cascade has taught me.” 

Let’s also not forget our 2023 athletes who broke many school records and had amazing seasons in our last year.

Senior Addison Stevens summed up her experience at CHS by saying, “I have received distinguished awards and built many life-long friendships. Cascade High School has given me many long-lasting memories from athletic events to gratifying projects in the classroom.”

Whether it be going to college, tech school, the military or straight into the workforce, the class of 2023 is destined for great things. We have left behind many great legacies and we will continue to do so. 

Congratulations to the class of 2023.