The epic battle over classroom policies

Ashlynn Hunsicker, Staff

Schools must put a list of rules in place to establish procedures and set standards for the quality of learning and safety of all students and teachers. And CHS is no different.

Cadet teachers have different policies for their individual classrooms that students are expected to follow. 

School procedures are created to promote peace and productivity and they are essential to the day-to-day efficiency in the classrooms. 

Perhaps the most controversial policy in the entire building is phones.  While some teachers allow students to utilize their phones, others have strict policies.

English teacher Mrs. Ball says, “I don’t have students put their phones away. They are allowed to use their phones to listen to music during any individual or group work time.”

According to junior Alissa Owens, this is the way it should be.

“I don’t think teachers should take our phones because it is our property. Although it’s important to have communication with your teacher, if you need your phone near you for an emergency or something urgent that day, it’s good to have it. Other than that it should be stowed away,” said Owens. 

Other teachers think that the technology benefits them as it pertains to real life.  One teacher argues that using phones is just like using notes.

Math teacher, Mr. Puckett says, “ Students can use notes, old homework, old quizzes, etc. on their tests.  I think it’s more applicable to real life.  I do my taxes every year, and they let me use my W2s, 1099s, etc. to fill it out.  Kids need to develop the skill of pulling useful information from secondary texts.”

The bathroom policy is one of the biggest disagreements between students and teachers.

English teacher Ms. Bauer says “I never want to tell a student no, but there needs to be boundaries. If I can only go to the bathroom during passing periods, students need to follow the same rule.” 

Although Spanish teacher Mrs. Moeller disagrees with that. 

Mrs. Moeller says, “ I usually let kids use the bathroom during class. I drink a gallon of water a day and I understand the need. If a student abuses this and tries to ask everyday, I will not let them go. Also, I am more likely to let a female use the restroom when asked because it may be an urgent matter.”

Another sore spot on the policy list is backpacks in the classroom.

Last year, because students were not allowed to use lockers, this rule was off the table.  But things are different this year.

Science teacher Miss Reach says, “I do not allow backpacks in my classroom. Since my room is a science classroom, backpacks are a tripping hazard. I ask students to place them in their lockers during the class period.” 

Sophomore Carson Bassett thinks that this rule monopolizes a student’s ability to move during the passing period.

Bassett says, “We should be able to carry our backpacks because going to our locker wastes a lot of time to where we can’t go to the bathroom or talk to friends to get back to class in time.” 

These are great examples of policies being put in place and followed to set good standards at CHS. Like them or not, this is what we are being asked to do.